Levels of risk of traveling to different countries in Latin America
Specific security situations
- Argentina: Street crime is a problem in Buenos Aires, Rosario, and Mendoza. Stay alert for muggers and pickpockets working the streets, restaurants, and bus and train stations, Especially at night time.
- Bolivia: Protests and demonstrations are common, causing regular roadblocks. In remote regions adequate medical care is scarce. In big cities, travelers must be aware of imposters, when organized crime pose as police.
- Peru: Avoid the peruvian / colombian border were increased crime and drug trafficking are present. Active terrorist groups present on Valley of the rivers, Apurimac, Ene and Mantaro.
- Ecuador: Increased crime in 2019. Level 4 areas include Esmeraldas provinces, Carchi and Sucumbios.
- Brazil: Armed robbery and carjacking is very common in urban areas. Travelers must avoid level 4 areas such as: Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa
- Colombia: Terrorism, crime and kidnapping are active in all the country. Level 4 regions include Arauca, Cauca, Chocó, Nariño and north of Santander. Level 3 regions are Antioquia north of Medellin, Caquetá, Casanare, Cesar outside Valledupar, Córdoba outside Montería, Guainía, Guaviare, Meta, Putumayo, Valle del Cauca outside the Cali and Palmira area, Vaupés, and Vichada.